650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > making exhaust pipes

making exhaust pipes
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 9:42 am    Post subject: making exhaust pipes

OK I want to make some drag pipes for my 77 XS650 and I need to know what size exhaust pipe to buy from Napa so I can cut a groove in one end and slip it over my stock header and tighten down with an exhaust clamp. Anybody know what the size is? I'm just going to cut them with a chop saw and paint them black.
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

STOCK IS JUST SHY OF1 1/2 INCHES EXTERNAL DIAMATER FOR THE HEADER AS LONG AS IT'S STOCK. THE MUFFLER OR HEADER PIPE IS 1 1/2 INCHES INTERNAL DIAMATER WILL FIT.
Photo Gallery
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

Thanks!
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

DJ -

If you're going to paint them black, I highly recommend Dupli-Color High-Heat Paint... there's a graphic of headers on the can. Twelve hundred degrees is a bit of overkill, but it's a great satin finish and can be used over clean bare metal.

Good luck!

TC
Photo Gallery
Irish

PostPosted: September 27, 2007, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

DJDingleDick wrote:
OK I want to make some drag pipes for my 77 XS650 and I need to know what size exhaust pipe to buy from Napa so I can cut a groove in one end and slip it over my stock header and tighten down with an exhaust clamp. Anybody know what the size is? I'm just going to cut them with a chop saw and paint them black.

Trust me when I say you WILL want to do the washer/bolt baffle deal. It will run crappy without it.
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

If you are going to paint them why not have it welded and skip the clamps.

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

what is washer bolt bafle
Photo Gallery
Irish

PostPosted: September 30, 2007, 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

Joseph wrote:
what is washer bolt bafle
You weld a 3/4 washer on end to the head of a 1/4 bolt. Drill a 1/4 hole 2-3" from the end of the drag pipe, put the bolt/washer in the pipe, washer should be 90 degrees in the pipe. It won't take away the sound, but will give enough back pressure to be worth the effort. either weld it in or double nut it on the outside of the pipe.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 30, 2007, 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

Anyone have a pic of that bolt washer bafffle . For some reason I just cant picture it.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: September 30, 2007, 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

Being performance oriented,this type of restrictor could cause more resistance and hurt perfromance. Dennis Kurt sells some exhaust tuning kits that would be the idle shape your after,in my opinion to choke any oversized baffle without creating resistance..................Jack
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: September 30, 2007, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

They used to sell those washer thingy's and they called them "Snuf-Or-Not"
Lots of Honda 305 Scramblers had them. You could turn the washer across the end of the pipe and it would slightly lower the noise, or you could turn them in line with the flow of the exhaust and they acted like a striaght through pipe. Sorta like and exhaust dump on a car. probably didn't do a lot for performance either way.

Wayne
DJDingleDick

PostPosted: October 1, 2007, 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

Well I went on Saturday and bought 10' (they wouldn't sell me any less) of 1.5" exhaust pipe at Napa and came home and cut some slash cut drag pipes. I cut them with my sawzall and they were actually really easy to cut and it was easier than I thought. Although with the 1.5" diameter they didn't slide up over the headers; instead they butted up against them, which was not exactly what I was going for. I went and bought some sheet metal and made a coupler and clamped it on for the time being and it seems to do the trick for now but I'm not going to keep it like that very long. It looks pretty crappy and I'm worried that the hold won't be the best and I'll lose one riding around. I think I'm going to end up just paying the $80 for the set from JC Whitney. I like the look of the slightly bigger pipe that tapers down and they seem like they'll hold better and I won't have to worry about them.

As for the paint, I got a can of the 1200 degree dupli-color paint when i bought the pipe and i plan on baking the new pipes when i get them in my oven like it says on the can so they look good for a long time. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 2, 2007, 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: making exhaust pipes

DJ...

Not sure if you've shot the pipes yet, but see my gallery, and you can get an idea of what that satin black looks like.

Also, your local Midas guy might be able to expand the leading edge of your pipes for you so they'll slide over your head pipes snugly. Not sure if you can buy a pipe expender small enough for that.

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1