650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > All the rest > > Salvaging my saddle...

Salvaging my saddle...
    Forum Index -> All the rest
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Salvaging my saddle...

Hi, all...

If you note the saddle that my bike has on it now, there's a pillion area that I don't like, and that I'm not going to use anyway... this will be a solo rig. So, after having looked around at options, many of which I like but don't want to spring for right now (I need a new speedo and am trying to find one), I'm going to try to alter my saddle. I actually like the rider half... kind of a rolled/pleated affair in good repair. But today, I removed the cover from the rear half and am reshaping the foam to blend down toward the rear fender in a cafe style. I bought some textured black vinyl that I'll upholster the rear with; I'll overlap the front with the rear, with a rolled leading edge. The surfaces and upholstery style won't be identical, but that hopefully will add to the appeal. I'll post pics if all works out.

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 20, 2007, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvaging my saddle...

Could be heroids with the seat.......glad you are over the needles......thought I was going to need some.......

John
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 21, 2007, 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Salvaging my saddle...

John... HAHA!! Smile Well... let's HOPE I'm over the needles! Haven't run it in a few days as I'm trying to get some other things done:

- My chrome muffs were a bit rough, so rather than replace them right away, I cleaned and scuffed them, prepped them with paint adhesion promoter, and shot them high-temp satin black. Man... they turned out GOOD! Will re-install this weekend... maybe post a pic.

- Started my saddle. Got the foam almost shaped. I can't sew so I need to figure how to roll the leading edge of the rear felt-lined vinyl and glue it to itself for a clean leading edge... cement like Weldwood might work.

- Have stared at my front brake repeatedly, but it shows no inclination to fix itself. Guess I'll have to try.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 27, 2007, 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Salvaging my saddle...

Okay... I reupholstered the back half of my saddle in vinyl after having sculpted the foam into more of a cafe slope. It came out reasonably well, but it needs some trim. I'm going to use some leatherette material from two narrow belts to trim the leading edge of the new upholstery, as well as the perimeter of the bottom edge.

This cannot be sewn, so the bond between the leather/leatherette and vinyl base will have to be made using contact cement. I was wondering if any of you who have done a bit of this type of work think that Weldwood Contact Cement would be good for this application.

Thanks!

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 30, 2007, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvaging my saddle...

All...

I finished my saddle as best I could. It turned out fairly nice for the time being. Rather than post hotlinked photos here, I thought I'd just invite you to check out my project album.

Enjoy!

TC
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> All the rest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1