650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Drilled Rotors

Drilled Rotors
    Forum Index -> Drive
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Drilled Rotors

www.650rider.com/coppe...=1026.html

Has anybody here done this to their rotors using this templet above? If so how many drill bits did it take?? and how did it turn out? Thanks for any info on this.

Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

See the thread right here called 'Squealing brakes'. Goran did 3 rotors using the same drill bit. Well, actually he used 3 different bits ... a dimple, a pilot hole bit, and finishing bit.... one of each. Did all three rotors with those 3 bits.

I've read the following over and over ... I don't pretend to be an expert:
They drill quite easily with a sharp bit (need a drill press).
Don't countersink the holes ... the sharp edge cleans the pads.
The hole pattern must completely cover the entire width of the pads with no gaps in between.

Oh heck the same link twice in one day Smile
smg.photobucket.com/al...e%20Discs/
Whatever pattern you use ... he gives good idea of drill RPM's for each size ... helpful info.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 23, 2007, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

mmm...and each little hole will hold a drop of water..... Wink
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: July 23, 2007, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

There was a discussion about hole size on another list. If you make the holes small enough, you create more surface area (sides of the holes) than you remove (face of the holes). This aids in cooling. The ideal size is supposed to be half the thickness of the disc but that would make for some tiny holes. As long as you don't make them any bigger than the thickness of the disc (7mm for the XS650, 5mm for the SR500), you won't lose any surface area.

I did a 5mm thick SR500 disc using one bit. With the small holes, you have to drill more of them but they're easier to drill. After running the bit into the center punch mark slightly to start the hole in the right spot, put a drop of oil on it to drill the rest of the way through.

Last edited by 5twins on July 23, 2007, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 23, 2007, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

xs1100 front slotted rotors on the front........xs850 front slotted rotors on the rear.....

John
Photo Gallery
Xumi

PostPosted: July 23, 2007, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

yeah, but why buy when you can make you're own?

This may be the excuse I need to go buy that drill press...

'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 24, 2007, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

I think I'll tacle this part of my project in the off season. Thanks for all the feedback!
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 24, 2007, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

xsjohn wrote:
xs1100 front slotted rotors on the front........xs850 front slotted rotors on the rear.....

John

Are not the front and back discs one in the same part?? I never really compared them that closely, they just appeared to be the same by looking at them.

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: July 24, 2007, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

Rear is a bit smaller........

John
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2007, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled Rotors

I just finished drilling my front rotor. I also installed new brake pads from mikesxs.
This gave a real big improvement.................front brake probably now twice as good as it was!
Used my own drill press............only drilled 30 holes. My pilot holes used 4 drill bits. As I moved up to larger size bits it only took 1 bit. My final size was 5/16 inch.

drilled_disk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.76 KB
 Viewed:  126 Time(s)

drilled_disk.jpg

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1