650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > straight open pipes?

straight open pipes?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 10:00 pm    Post subject: straight open pipes?

hey everyone, im working on a bobber project, and i may be jumping the gun, i dont have it together but i want to have everything in line before i start. anyway.

i want great looking loud pipes. but i want decent performance. at least stock performance.

so here is my questions, ive read the previous posts and havent found a definitive answer. can i run straight open pipes with no mufflers? i know i would need to change jet size and air filters.

so does anyone have a system they can tell me about that works great?

and there are no noise limits for motorcycles or cars here.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: straight open pipes?

I've ran open pipes for 25 years, Mostly HD's, with only one excesive noise ticket, Although I think the cops are going to start getting more "Concerned" about us flagrant violators. I found on the smaller XS650 motor the drop in the low / mid range power from open pipes was much more noticeable than it was on the larger HD motors. This year I put a "Washer Baffle" in my pipes and it really made an improvement on my XS. Still has a good sound. The back pressure really helps.
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: straight open pipes?

what size washer? or is it a kit you can buy?

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: straight open pipes?

I want to continue being a "flagrant" violator....love straights on a high compression xs. It becomes the owner. Only he can start it. I am addicted to the sound of the bike when I close the throttle. Man is that a sweet cackle!!!
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2007, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: straight open pipes?

Def Leopard ....Would agree.....

John
Photo Gallery
ttmaniac

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: straight open pipes?

What's that? Pardon me? Couldn't hear you. Didn't catch that.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: straight open pipes?

Go to the following link for a little more info. I'm not sure of the exact size washer I used but believe it was for a 7/16" bolt about 1 1/4" in diameter. I welded it on to a 1/4" bolt and mounted it in my pipes.

www.trikenest.freeserv...hstff.html

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1